Utilities
Search

Where does our household water come from?
Nearly 93 percent of the water we use in Oceanside is imported by the Metropolitan Water District from Northern California and the Colorado River.

Where does our water go after we are done with it?
Water leaving our homes generally is sent to a sewage treatment plant through a sewer system or it goes into a septic tank where it evaporates or seeps back into the ground. About 26 percent of the water coming from our homes is used for irrigation purposes. The other 74 percent is discharged to sewage-treatment plants where it is treated.

How do I read my meter?
Your water meter is generally located near the curb in front of your home or place of business, in a direct line with the main outside faucet. It is housed in a concrete box usually marked "water". Carefully remove the lid by using a tool such as a large screwdriver.

There are two basic types of water meters – the straight reading meter which resembles the odometer in a car, and the round reading meter which has several separate dials. With both meters, the last two figures are discounted. Therefore, if your meter read is 52610 then it is actually a read of 526. Your bill is figured by subtracting the old number (your last month's read) from the new number (your current read). The difference is the units of consumption for this billing. Each unit is 748 gallons or 100 cubic feet (HCF).

How can I cut back on my water consumption?

More water goes down the drain in an ordinary day’s routine than most of us realize. (For instance, 40 percent of the pure water used in the average house is flushed down the toilet.) Consequently, most households can save gallons of water everyday by combining a few minor plumbing installations with simple lifestyle changes. Of course, every household is different. The following list is only an indicator, providing an approximation of your home’s water use and how it can be reduced.

  • Install an ultra low-flow toilet to decrease the gallons of water used per flush by 4.4 gallons.
  • Low-flow shower heads use 2.5 gallons of water per minute as opposed to 6 to 8 gallons used with a regular shower head. Also, save water by taking a bath.
  • Brush your teeth with a glass of water rather than leaving the water running.
  • Use a garden hose with a restrictor to cut down usage by 5 gallons per minute.
  • Repair faucet drips right away. They can cause at least 2 gallons of usage per day.
  • Inspect the irrigation system and fix any components not operating at maximum efficiency.
  • Water only in early morning or evening to avoid evaporation loss.


Does the City of Oceanside offer senior- or low-income discounts?
Currently the City of Oceanside does not offer any discount programs.