Emergency Information

A water main has broken

Please contact the City of Oceanside Water Utilities Department at 760-435-5800.

Are there public tornado/hurricane shelters

Shelters will be announced when event occurs.

Bees, Snakes, and Pests

  • Bees - Use your favorite internet search engine or local directory to search under "Bee Control & Removal Services". The Fire Department does not assist with bee removal, but can assist in a life-threatening situation when bees are attacking. Call 911 in life threatening situations.
  • Animal rescue and pests - Contact the San Diego Humane Society in Oceanside at (760) 757-4357 for assistance with snakes, dogs, cats, and other animals.  In some instances the fire department may assist, but the calls should be routed through animal control services.

Emergency Broadcast Stations

San Diego breaking news radio station: 

  • KOGO 600 AM
  • KLSD 1360 AM

General Emergency Management Information

San Diego County Emergency

Ready San Diego

How do I contact FEMA/state disaster agencies/local disaster agencies?

  • Phone: 800-621-3362 (711 or Video Relay Service Available)
  • TTY: 800-462-7585
  • Online form for disaster survivors
  • General Operator: (202) 646-2500
  • Mailing Address:
    Federal Emergency Management Agency
    500 C Street S.W.
    Washington, D.C. 20472

State of California Office of Emergency Services

Main Office - 916-845-8510

San Diego County Office of Emergency Services

5580 Overland Avenue, Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92123-1294
phone: (858) 565-3490
fax: (858) 565-3499
mailstop: O-25
email: oes@sdcounty.ca.gov

What do I do to prepare for an earthquake/hurricane/tornado

Earthquake Safety

Hurricane Safety

Tornado Safety

Brush/Weed Hazard and Abatement

The City of Oceanside Code Enforcement Division, in coordination with the Oceanside Fire Department, will inspect and enforce brush hazard code requirements.  Contact Code Enforcement at (760) 435-4500.

For more information on wildland fire hazards and wildfire prevention, visit www.sdcounty.ca.gov and www.readyforwildfire.org.

Sewer line is broken.

Please contact the City of Oceanside Water Utilities Department at 760-435-5800.

Car Seats

The Oceanside Fire Department doesn’t install car seats for liability reasons. Please contact the California Highway Patrol at (760) 643-3400. Their office is located at 435 La Tortuga, Vista, CA 92081

The water pressure has dropped in my neighborhood

Please contact the City of Oceanside Water Utilities Department at 760-435-5800.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms and Requirements

Carbon monoxide (CO) is colorless and odorless. If you have an alarm, evacuate the structure and call 911. Read the manufacturer's documentation for maintenance and know the indications of a low battery.

As of July 1, 2011, the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate Bill-SB183) will require all single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source to install carbon monoxide alarms within the home by July 1, 2011. Owners of multi-family leased or rental dwellings, such as apartment buildings, had until January1, 2013, to comply with the law. See the following document for additional information on Carbon Monoxide:

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) on Carbon

Fire hydrant by my house is not functioning properly and appears to be broken.

Please contact the City of Oceanside Water Utilities Department at 760-435-5800.

CPR - Do you offer classes?

Not at this time. Please contact the San Diego American Red Cross at (858) 309-1200 or visit them online at www.redcross.org/local/california/san-diego. You can also contact MiraCosta College at (760) 795-6820 or http://www.miracosta.edu and Project Heartbeat at www.sdprojectheartbeat.com for more information.

Driving and emergency vehicles

To help firefighters and paramedics get to an emergency more quickly remember, when you hear a siren:

  • Look in all directions for emergency vehicles as you plan your next move. Be aware there may be more than one responding crew.
  • If you are at a green traffic light, look for emergency vehicles before proceeding through the intersection.

  • If you are at a red light, await a green light and then pull through and to the right as soon as safe. Proceeding through a red light is unsafe in any circumstance.

  • Never stop in an intersection. Continue through the intersection and then drive to the right as soon as possible.

  • Don't slam on your brakes.

  • Don't pull over suddenly.

  • Use your blinker to show emergency crews the direction you are moving.

  • On the freeway, carefully move out of the lane used by emergency crews; again, use your blinker.

  • Don't try to outrun the emergency vehicle.

  • It is illegal to follow within 300 feet of any emergency vehicle when it is answering an emergency call.

  • Don't stop in a place where the emergency vehicle can't get around you. Pulling over to the left can clog all lanes when there is a lot of traffic.

  • You must follow any traffic direction or signal given to you by a police officer or firefighter, even if it conflicts with existing signs, signals or laws. After the crew passes, carefully merge back into traffic.

  • Anyone driving to the scene of a fire, accident, or other emergency merely for sight-seeing purposes may be arrested. The City of Oceanside’s emergency crews are seeing a growing number of motorists who don't yield for the lights and sirens of fire engines and ambulances. It's not only unlawful to impede the response of emergency vehicles, you could be delaying life-saving medical help.

Emergency Kits and Supplies

  • Three-day supply of water and non-perishable food
  • Battery-powered or hand-crank radio with extra batteries
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • First aid kit
  • Whistle to signal for help
  • Dust mask to help filter contaminated air
  • Plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter in place
  • Moist towelettes, garbage bags, and plastic ties for personal sanitation
  • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
  • Can opener for food if you included canned food
  • Local maps

For more information, visit www.sdcounty.ca.gov.

The property next door is covered with weeds and looks like a fire hazard. What do I do?

The City of Oceanside contracts with a company called Fire Prevention Services, Inc. (FPSI).  Contact them at 1-866-779-3774 extension 309 to report your concerns.  Or visit their web site at http://www.fpsi.net/

For more information on fire hazard/wildfire prevention, visit www.sdcounty.ca.gov


Use your favorite internet search engine or local directory to search under “Fire Extinguishers” to locate a company that can service/replace your unit.

A 2A 10BC type fire extinguisher can usually satisfy the requirements for a light hazard occupancy or household.

Types of fires:

  • Class A: ordinary combustible materials such as wood, cloth, paper, rubber, and many plastics
  • Class B: flammable liquids, oils, greases, tars, oil based paints, solvents, lacquers, alcohols, and flammable gases
  • Class C: energized electrical equipment (when equipment is de-energized the fire becomes Class A or B)
  • Class D: combustible metals such as magnesium, titanium, zirconium, sodium, potassium, and lithium.

Fire Hydrants Problems

Please contact the City of Oceanside Water Utilities Department at (760) 435-5800.

Fireworks and Ammunition

You may drop off fireworks (and only fireworks) at any fire station in the City of Oceanside.  Contact Fire Prevention at (760) 435-4101 for more information.

Ammunition or other hazardous explosive/flammable devices need to be disposed of through the San Diego County Sheriff’s Department at (858) 974-2222.

Medical Sharps, Prescription, Hazardous Waste Disposal

  • Sharps: Contact your personal physician or pharmacist to acquire personal sharps containers or use a sharps disposal mail-back program. More information is available at www.wastemd.com.

  • Prescription drugs: Oceanside Police has a drug collection drop-box at the Evidence and Property Facility at 4927 Oceanside Blvd., Oceanside, CA 92056

  • Other household waste: Visit the City of Oceanside website https://www.ci.oceanside.ca.us (Solid Waste, Recycling, Sharps Medical Waste Info)

Pilot Light Furnace Assistance

Please contact SDG&E at 1-800-411-7343.


  • Sandbags are available at the City Operations Center, 4927 Oceanside Blvd. between 9:00 am – 4:00 pm.

  • Bags and sand are provided – please bring your own shovel to fill the bags (depending on personnel we may help to load filled bags only).

  • 10 bag limit per resident.

  • Sandbag vendors: Moody’s Recycling at El Corazon has sandbags for Oceanside residents; you fill. Moody’s is located at 3210 Oceanside Blvd. They can be reached at (760) 433-3316; call ahead for hours.

  • Lowe’s and Home Depot also sell sandbags at their location. Call first to make sure they have some in stock.

Smoke Detector Placement and Operation

  • Hold the button in to test the batteries. If it “beeps”, it’s working.

  • If the detector is “chirping” (short intermittent beep every few minutes), replace the batteries.

  • When in doubt, replace the batteries. Replace your batteries every six months. A good reminder is to change your batteries when you change your clocks at Daylight Savings Time.

  • If the alarm is hard-wired (tied into your electrical system), call your electrician for service. They will still use a battery backup and require homeowner maintenance.

  • Place detectors on each level of your home and especially on the hallway ceiling near the air vents. If you sleep with your bedroom door closed, it’s a good idea to place a detector in your bedroom.

  • Contact the Oceanside Fire Department Fire Prevention Division at (760) 435-4101 for assistance with installation and battery replacement.

  • For more information visit The Burn Institute at www.burninstitute.org.