Legislative Services Program
Page 1, First Minutes of the Oceanside Board of Trustees
(City Council) July 10, 1888
The primary objective of this program is to provide the City, its agencies and the citizens of Oceanside with efficient and accurate legislative services.
The City Clerk is the official recorder of all City Council and other City agency meetings, also serving as the Secretary to the Oceanside Small Craft Harbor Board of Directors, Community Development Commission, Oceanside Public Financing Authority, Manfactured Home Fair Practices Commission and the Oversight Board of the City of Oceanside Successor Agency. Action minutes are prepared immediately after the meeting and are posted on the City's website by the following morning.
From the first handwritten minutes in 1888 (see insert), to the meetings after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in 1941 and the World Trade Center Attack in 2001 and through the present, these minutes are preserved and retained under statute for future generations. The minutes are also imported into the City's Document Imaging System for research and ease of access.
City Clerk Department staff provides additional services under this program, including the following:
- processes, tracks, and records all City laws (resolutions and ordinances), recorded documents and contracts relating to the City's governing bodies
- publishes/mails legal and public notices
- maintains the Oceanside Municipal Code
- provides membership services for all of the City's committees, boards, and commissions
- receives appeals to the City Council
- administers oaths of office and maintains custody of the City Seal
- accepts petitions, liability claims, subpoenas, and summons
- provides research and information services to the public and all City departments
- receives/coordinates the processing of Public Records Act requests (submitted in person or through USPS mail or emailed to email@example.com)