Public health emergencies include disease outbreaks, acts of terrorism, or natural disasters that can affect our food, drinking, water, or air. The first evidence of an attack may be when symptoms appear.
If you are exposed to a suspicious substance:
- Move away quickly.
- Remove contaminated clothing.
- Wash yourself with soap and water.
- Contact authorities.
- Seek medical attention if you become sick.
- Listen for official information.
Prepare yourself by following these tips:
- Wash hands frequently with soap and water.
- Cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Stay at home if you are sick.
- Plan for a disruption in usual services.
- Store a two-week supply of water and food.
- Learn the facts about influenza.
- More Bird Flu information.
- More Flu Season information.
For more information on community wellness and health protection please visit the County of San Diego Public Health Services website.