The Oceanside Junior Lifeguard Program offers individuals ages 9-17 the opportunity to learn beach safety and ocean lifesaving skills from experienced Oceanside Beach Lifeguards. Junior Lifeguard daily activities include education in beach and ocean safety, running and swimming activities, beach games, surfing, competitions, and a field trip to La Jolla Cove and Knotts Soak City. Junior Lifeguards will also have the opportunity to learn about tower guarding, rescue techniques, boat rescues, marine biology, oceanography, first aid, and CPR.
Location and Schedule
Junior Guards meet at the Oceanside Harbor Beach, behind lifeguard tower 14, across from the boat launch ramp.
- M/W/F (Sessions 1 & 3) meet 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
- T/Th (Sessions 2 & 4) meet 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
- Session 1: M/W/F June 16 – July 11. Including Thursday July 3rd NO MEETING JULY 4th
- Session 2: T/Th June 17 – July 10. Including Monday July 7th and Wednesday July 9th
- Session 3: M/W/F July 14 – August 8
- Session 4: T/Th July 15 – August 7. Including Monday July 28th and Monday August 4th
All first-time participants must complete a swim test.
Former participants who have completed a swim test do not need to test again.
The swim test is as follows:
- Ages 9-12: 100-yard swim in less than 3 minutes, tread water for 5 minutes, and swim underwater.
- Ages 13-17: 200-yard swim in less than 5 minutes, tread water for 5 minutes, and swim underwater.
Swim Test Dates
- May 24th and May 31st
- June 7th and June 21st
- July 5th
Swim test will start at 8:00 am each Saturday. Swim tests are held at:
Brooks Street Swim Center
130 Brooks Street
Oceanside, CA 92054
Oceanside Junior Lifeguards must wear the Junior Lifeguard uniform during JG activities. A royal blue swimsuit is required and is available for purchase through the program (see order form).
Female swimsuits will be available for purchase at all swim test dates and the first day of each session (not included in uniform order form).
A T-shirt, hat, and rash guard are included in the registration fee.
- Additional T-shirt $10
- Trunks $20
- Sweatshirt (blue/ white) $25
Fee: $310 per session/child. $20 discount will apply for additional family members in the same session or one child in multiple sessions.
This fee includes instruction, an SPF-25 lycra rashguard, T-shirt, patch, hat, and field trips.
Checks made payable to: City of Oceanside
Financial Aid is available for Oceanside residents only. Scholarships are limited and are obtained through the Parks & Recreation Division. More information is available online.
For information on Assistant positions please see the flyers at the bottom of this page.
How to Enroll
- New for 2014 we will be moving to an Online Registration!!!
- A registration link will be posted that will allow you to register for the upcoming summer sessions.
- Payment in full is required to hold your child’s spot in a desired session. Registration will be filled on a “First Paid, First Registered” basis with NO waiting lists.
- All fees are refundable prior to the start of the session expect for a $50 processing fee. For more info about refunds please call 760-435-4021.
- New participants MUST complete a swim test on one of the scheduled dates prior to the start of the session.
- All uniforms will be handed out on the first day of the session.
- An invoice will be e-mailed out upon processing of your registration.
For More Information
For more information and registration materials, please call the Oceanside Junior Lifeguard Information Line at 760-435-4020, ext. 3, or 760-435-4021 to leave a message, or email us at JGStaff@ci.oceanside.ca.us