The Oceanside Junior Lifeguard Program offers individuals ages 9-17 the opportunity to learn beach safety and ocean lifesaving skills from experienced Oceanside Beach Lifeguards. Junior Lifeguard daily activities include education in beach and ocean safety, running and swimming activities, beach games, surfing, competitions, and a field trip to La Jolla Cove and Knotts Soak City. Junior Lifeguards will also have the opportunity to learn about tower guarding, rescue techniques, boat rescues, marine biology, oceanography, first aid, and CPR.
Location and Schedule
Junior Guards meet at the Oceanside Harbor Beach, behind lifeguard tower 14, across from the boat launch ramp.
- M/W/F (Sessions 1 & 3) meet 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
- T/Th (Sessions 2 & 4) meet 9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Session 1 - June 17 - July 12 (M,W,F) Session 1 is CLOSED
Session 2 - June 18 - July 11 (T, TH)
Session 3 - July 15 - August 9 (M,W,F) Session 3 is CLOSED
Session 4 - July 16 - August 8 (T,TH)
All first-time participants must complete a swim test.
Former participants who have completed a swim test do not need to test again.
The swim test is as follows:
- Ages 9-12: 100-yard swim in less than 3 minutes, tread water for 5 minutes, and swim underwater.
- Ages 13-17: 200-yard swim in less than 5 minutes, tread water for 5 minutes, and swim underwater.
Swim Test Dates
- May 25th
- June 1st
- June 8th
- June 22nd
- July 6th
Swim test will start at 8:00 AM each Saturday. Swim tests are held at:
Brooks Street Swim Center
130 Brooks Street
Oceanside, CA 92054
Oceanside Junior Lifeguards must wear the Junior Lifeguard uniform during JG activities. A royal blue swimsuit is required and is available for purchase through the program (see order form).
Female swimsuits will be available for purchase at all swim test dates and the first day of each session (not included in uniform order form).
A T-shirt, hat, and rash guard are included in the registration fee.
- Additional T-shirt $10
- Trunks $18
- Sweatshirt (blue/ white) $23
Fee: $310 per session/child. $20 discount will apply for additional family members in the same session or one child in multiple sessions.
This fee includes instruction, an SPF-25 lycra rashguard, T-shirt, patch, hat, and field trips.
Checks made payable to: City of Oceanside
Financial Aid is available for Oceanside residents only. Scholarships are limited and are obtained through the Parks & Recreation Division. More information is available online.
How to Enroll
- Download and print an application from the City’s website. Applications are also available at Oceanside Lifeguard Headquarters.
- Turn in application by mail to 300 North Coast Highway, Oceanside CA 92054, Attn: Junior Lifeguard or in person by dropping it off at Oceanside Lifeguard Headquarters located at 301 N. the Strand. Registration is filled on “FIRST PAID, FIRST REGISTERED” basis.”
- A $100 deposit ($50 of which is nonrefundable) is required upon receiving your application to hold your child’s spot in a desired session. This can be done PRIOR to taking a swim test.
- All outstanding fees must be paid two weeks before the start of the session; your child will not be able to participate until balance is paid in full.
- New participants MUST complete the swim test on one of the scheduled dates prior to the start of the session.
- All uniforms ordered will be handed out on the first day.
- An invoice will be mailed/e-mailed out upon processing your application.
Registration material is available
For More Information
For more information and registration materials, please call the Oceanside Junior Lifeguard Information Line at (760) 435-4020, ext. 3, or (760) 435-4021 to leave a message, or email us at JGStaff@ci.oceanside.ca.us
Registration will is Open