The plan check unit performs fire safety plan review and approves architectural plans for various types of occupancies. They also meet with developers, engineers, and architects for proposed projects. All fire protection systems are reviewed by the plan check unit, and the turn-around time for a plan review is typically ten working days.
Fire sprinkler, fire alarm, and kitchen hood systems:
- Submit three sets of plans for review.
- Plan Check will retain one copy and two copies are returned to the client.
- No permit is required through the Building Department.
- No actual permit is issued through Plan Check – our approval and your stamped copies are all you need!
- The fees for the plan check and subsequent inspections are billed after-the-fact. No money is necessary up front.
- When your plans have been approved, we will contact you to come pick them up.
- If you ship your plans in to us and want your copies shipped back, please include a self addressed stamped envelope or provide other shipping arrangements.
All other plans (including Healy systems and High Pile Storage/Racking) need to be submitted to the City of Oceanside
Building Department first. Bring an extra set of plans to leave with the Fire Plan Check Department. The Building Department does NOT provide the Fire Plan Check Department with plans. The Building Department will provide you with a Route Sheet that you will carry with you to the various departments for sign off. Make sure you return to the Building Department with your Route Sheet to ensure that your project is entered into our tracking system.
The Fire Department will contact you if there are any questions regarding your submittal. If you do not hear from the Fire Department that means your plans have been approved. When your plans are approved by the Building Department, bring your route sheet back to the Fire Department and it will be approved for a building permit.
Call 760-435-4101 to schedule any inspections. Please have the following information at hand when you phone in:
- Project address
- Project name (if applicable)
- Type of inspection you are scheduling
- Project/site contact and phone number
For information on Emergency Roadway Access Guidelines click here: Click here to view Emergency Access Roadway Guidelines