Our FAQs are available for download and printing.

FAQs (46.8 KB)

Am I required to have a Carbon Monoxide Alarm?
As of July 1, 2011, the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate Bill – SB 183) will require all single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source to install carbon monoxide alarms within the home by July 1, 2011. Owners of multi-family leased or rental dwellings, such as apartment buildings, have until January 1, 2013 to comply with the law. Click here for FAQs on Carbon Monoxide.

How do I know if my smoke detector is working? Where should I place my detector?

  • Hold the button in to test the batteries.  If it “beeps”, it’s working.
  • If the detector is “chirping” this means the batterias are low and need to be replaced.
  • When in doubt, replace the batteries.  Replace your batteries every six months.  A good reminder is to change your batteries when you change your clocks at Daylight Savings Time.
  • If the alarm is hard-wired (tied into your electrical system), call your electrician for service.
  • Place detectors on each level of your home and especially on the hallway ceiling near the air vents. If you sleep with your bedroom door closed, it’s a good idea to place a detector in your bedroom.
  • Unfortunately, the Oceanside Fire Department does not have resources available to assist with replacing batteries or mounting smoke detectors. Contact a neighbor, friend, relative, or handyman for assistance.
  • For more information visit The Burn Institute at www.burninstitute.org/

There's a swarm of bees in my backyard. And a snake, too!

  • Look in the Yellow Pages under "Bee Control & Removal Services". The Fire Department does not assist with bee removal, but can assist in a life-threatening situation when bees are attacking.
  • Contact Animal Control at (760) 757-4357 for assistance with snakes, dogs, cats and other animals. Unlike the old days, we can’t help get your kitten out of the tree!

The property next door is covered with weeds and looks like a fire hazard. Who do I contact?
The City of Oceanside contracts with a company called Fire Prevention Services, Inc. (FPSI).  Contact them at 1-866-779-3774, ext. 309 to report your concerns. Or visit their web site at www.fpsi.net.
For more information on fire hazard/wildfire prevention, visit www.sdcounty.ca.gov.

Where can I get sandbags?
Sandbags are typically available behind Fire Station #3 (corner of El Camino Real and Oceanside Boulevard).  Bags and sand are provided – please bring your own shovel to fill the bags. (Self-service only)

What should I put in my emergency supply kit?

  • Three day supply of water and non-perishable food
  • Battery powered or hand crank radio with extra batteries
  • Flashlight and extra batteries
  • First aid kit
  • Whistle to signal for help
  • Dust mask to help filter contaminated air
  • Plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
  • Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
  • Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
  • Can opener for food if you included canned food
  • Local maps
For more information, visit www.sdcounty.ca.gov.

I need recycling information.

  • The City of Oceanside has information on Citizen Sharps (needles) and Medical Waste here.
  • Visit the City of Oceanside web site for Solid Waste, Recycling.

Do you install infant car seats?
No.  Please contact the California Highway Patrol at 1888 Oceanside Boulevard or call them at (760) 757-1675.

I found some old firecrackers in my garage. How do I get rid of them?
You may drop off fireworks at any fire station in the City of Oceanside.

How do I dispose of ammunition?
Ammunition needs to be disposed of through the County Sheriff’s Department, you can reach them at (858) 974-2222.

Do you offer CPR classes?
Not at this time. Please contact the San Diego American Red Cross at (858) 309-1200 or visit them online at www.sdarc.org. You can also contact Mira Costa College at (760) 795-6820 or www.miracosta.edu and Project Heartbeat at www.sdprojectheartbeat.com for more information.

I need my fire extinguisher serviced.
Look in the Yellow Pages under “Fire Extinguishers” to locate a company that can service/replace your unit. A 2A 10BC type fire extinguisher can usually satisfy the requirements for a light hazard occupancy or household.

  • Class A: ordinary combustible materials such as wood, cloth, paper, rubber and many plastics
  • Class B: flammable liquids, oils, greases, tars, oil based paints, solvents, lacquers, alcohols, and flammable gases
  • Class C: energized electrical equipment (when equipment is de-energized the fire becomes Class A or B)
  • Class D: combustible metals such as magnesium, titanium, zirconium, sodium, potassium and lithium.

The fire hydrant by my house does not appear to be functioning properly or has been damaged.
Please contact the City of Oceanside Water Utilities Department at (760) 435-5800.

I need the pilot light for my furnace (or stove, etc.) serviced.
Please contact SDG&E at 1-800-411-7343.