Cards and Borrowing Policies

The Customer Service Desk (or Circulation Desk) is located at the entrance of the library. Here you may:

  • Apply for a library card
  • Check-out library materials
  • Pick up books and materials on reserve or hold for you
  • Pay library fines

TO APPLY FOR A LIBRARY CARD

  • Fill out an online library card application available at the computer kiosk near the Customer Service desk at any Oceanside Public Library location.  Have your photo ID with current San Diego County address available.*
  • Next, step over to the Customer Service Desk.  One of the friendly staff members will issue you a Library card once your ID and address have been verified.  Note: There is no charge for a first-time card. First-time applicants with valid ID may checkout five items on the day of application.

* If you're from outside the area (e.g. stationed at Camp Pendleton or are here on vacation) and want a card, we can get you set up -- but we might ask you for some other ID. Give us a call at 760-435-5600!

CHECKING OUT LIBRARY MATERIALS
Books, Audio Materials and Magazines

  • Check-out with your library card
  • No limit of books that adults may check out at one time. Limit of 25 items for children. Magazines limited to five magazines per card, and current issues do not check out.
  • Loan period is three weeks, with two renewals permitted.
  • Books and audio materials may be returned through the book drops outside the building or inside through the return slots.

DVDs

  • DVDs may be checked out at the Customer Service Desk or at one of the self check-out machines. Children are limited to children’s DVDs; young adults may check out within the rating guidelines for age limitations.
  • 75¢ per DVD non-refundable insurance fee is payable at checkout. The fee covers up to 80 percent of the cost if a DVD is damaged while in your keeping. The borrower is responsible for the remaining 20%.
  • DVDs check out for one week only, with no renewal permitted.
  • DVDs are due 15 minutes before the library closes.

LATE FINES

  • Adults pay 25¢ per day per item, regardless of whether it’s an adult or juvenile item
  • Children pay 10¢ per day per item, regardless of whether it’s a juvenile or adult item
  • DVD late fines are $1.00 per day (adult and juvenile alike)