Would you like to make a difference in someone's life?
Call the Oceanside READS literacy tutoring program to learn how you can become an adult literacy volunteer, helping others gain the reading skills needed in today’s world … and learn to love reading as you do.
Requirements for tutoring adults:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have earned a high school diploma or equivalent
- Complete a free training session
- Commit to tutoring an adult learner for at least 6 months
- Tutor for a minimum of 2 days a week, 90 minutes each session, at times that are convenient for you (evening and weekend hours available)
The main tutoring facility is the Oceanside READS Learning Center at 321 N. Nevada Street. Enter from the driveway between Nevada and Ditmar Streets off Civic Center Drive
An additional tutoring site is located inside the Mission Branch Library at 3861 Mission Avenue.
Literacy books and materials are available at both sites. The Learning Center also provides access to computer software for independent use by literacy learners, including Omti-Rogers phonics program, Spell It Deluxe, and typing/keyboard programs.
Volunteer tutors are always being sought. Please call (760) 435-5680 for more information.