North County Earth Month
Calling all potential Vendors and Sponsors: applications available here
Create to Educate Performance Art Contest
This year the City of Oceanside is dedicating the entire month of April to celebrate Earth Day and
environmental stewardship. North County Earth Month will include community events celebrating environmental
conservation and sustainability while encourage residents to become environmental stewards by
thinking globally and acting locally.
Earth Month Events: will include the following and more.
- Donate First Day - April 5th at El Corazon Senior Center. The City of Oceanside is hosting Donate-First Day April 5, 2014! Instead of throwing away unwanted items such as clothing, appliances, household goods and furniture, donate them. Local non-profits and charities will join the Oceanside Green Team at the El Corazon Senior Center during this event to collect your items and distribute them to people in need. There will also be local food banks on hand to collect healthy food donations. Non-profit groups that wish to receive items from Donate First Day can contact the Oceanside Green Team at email@example.com
- Build Your Own Compost Workshop - April 26th at El Corazon Senior Center. Have you considered buying a compost bin for your home, but find they are too expensive or they don't reflect your personal style? The Compost Bin Design Workshop will guide you through the process of creating a compost bin by using repurposed items from your home. Instructions and worms will be provided! The workshop will start at 1:00pm at the El Corazon Senior Center. Registration opens Friday, April 4, 2014. Visit www.elcorazoncompostfacility.com for registration information.
- Master Composter Series - Date and location to be announced. Would you like to become a Compost Ambassador to your community? The Master Composter Series is open to Oceanside residents interested in educating the community about the techniques and benefits of local and residential composting. Registration opens Friday, April 4, 2014. Visit for www.elcorazoncompostfacility.com registration information.
- Green Business Awards Reception - April 23rd, 2014. The City of Oceanside will launch the Green Business Award Program at a reception to recognize businesses that are leading the way in their efforts toward sustainability. The location and details of this exciting inaugural event will be coming soon.
- Farmers and Sunset Market on the Road to Zero Waste - April 24th, 2014. The City of Oceanside has partnered with MainStreet Oceanside to get the Farmers and Sunset Markets on the Road to Zero Waste. Join us on Thursday, April 24, 2014 as the Markets take the next step on the road and get rid of plastic shopping bags and Styrofoam! The Farmers Market is held from 9am to 1pm and full of wonderful local produce. From 5pm to 9pm the Sunset Market brings the addition of electric merchandise, food and live entertainment.
- Create to Educate Performance Showcase- April 25th, 2014 at Star Theater. Come see Oceanside Youth on Friday, April 27 as they "act out" for the environment with their own creative flair at the historic Star Theater! Students will showcase their musical and theatrical talents as they entertain and educate the audience on the environmental issue that speaks to them. Come early and enjoy a lobby reception from 6pm to 7pm with the Showcase beginning at 7pm. Click here to fill out an application.
- Used Oil Filter Exchange Event - April 26th, 2014 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. Recycling used oil and oil filters helps protect our waterways and ocean from pollution. Let the City of Oceanside help you take care of your car and our environment. Bring up to two used oil filters and receive up to two new oil filters FREE! Saturday, April 26, 2014 at O'Reilly Auto Parts, 3661 Mission Avenue from 10am to 2pm.
- Loma Alta Creek Clean Up - April 26th, 2014. Join community volunteers on April 26, 2014 from 9am to 12pm to help remove trash and debris from Loma Alta Creek. Volunteers can choose from several sites and will receive cleanup supplies, refreshments, and community service hours.
- Landscape Contest - Date and location to be announced.
- North County Earth Festival - April 27th, 2014 in downtown Oceanside. This year the Earth Festival is moving to downtown Oceanside on Sunday, April 27, 2014 from 10am to 5pm. Come join North County's largest Earth Day Celebration, loaded with fun and educational activities for all ages to enjoy. This year there will be even more environmentally friendly booths, the Children's Eco-Zone, food and entertainment. In addition, there will be new areas of the Festival including the Vintage Market and Green Home Improvement Area with a Water Friendly Plant Sale.
Green Oceanside Campaign
The Green Oceanside campaign is about teaching residents and local businesses in our local community how to be better stewards of the planet by recycling, reducing waste, composting, conserving water, conserving energy, and preventing water pollution and litter. Through collaboration and partnership between City Departments, local businesses, community groups, and schools, the Green Oceanside campaign has provided a sense of community pride in Oceanside for its commitment to protecting our local environment and waterways. Please see below for detailed information about a few of our major Green Oceanside events and programs, and please be sure to visit the calendar section of this page for specific event locations, times, and details. Remember everyone can be a part of the Green Oceanside team!
Day Without a Bag Campaign
Beginning in 2008, the City of Oceanside decided to follow the footsteps of some of the neighboring cities to the north, in Los Angeles, by celebrating its first “Day Without a Bag” campaign. Since then the City has celebrated four “Day Without A Bag” events on the third Thursday of December of each year, by promoting the idea that Oceanside citizens should give back to the environment during the holidays by foregoing disposable plastic and paper bags in favor of reusable totes. Due to the support of dozen’s of local businesses, and through the establishment of a regional partnership with neighboring cities, the City of Oceanside has distributed thousands of reusable bags to our local community. On Thursday, December 19th, join the City of Oceanside and Main Street Oceanside for the fifth annual Day Without A Bag (DWAB). DWAB is an education and awareness event to remind residents to keep their communities, waterways, and beaches clean from litter and to use reusable instead of disposable bags especially during the busy holiday shopping season. On December 19th, the Oceanside Farmer's and Sunset Markets will be "bagless". Shoppers who bring their own reusable bag will be entered into a drawing for fun, eco-friendly prizes. For those who forget their bag, the City of Oceanside will be on hand distributing free reusable bags. "Day Without A Bag" is an integral part of the City of Oceanside's Zero Waste plan, which calls for a diversion of 75 percent of our waste materials out of landfills by 2020. Waste reduction strategies such as eliminating disposable materials out of our waste stream and by promoting the use of reusable bags over single use plastic or paper bags is crucial to meeting our community's environmental goals and future waste reduction mandates. Since Oceanside is a coastal community, it is in every resident's best interest to consider measures to respect, preserve and protect our local resources. These efforts have helped establish Oceanside’s commitment towards being an environmental leader in North County San Diego. We encourage you to participate at this year’s upcoming Day Without a Bag event on December 19th. For information on how you or your business can support and volunteer for the upcoming Day Without a Bag event, please feel free to contact Colleen Foster at (760) 435-5021, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Green Oceanside Classroom Presentations
The Green Oceanside team is pleased to offer key environmental educational programs to Oceanside primary and secondary aged school children. Programs include but are not limited to classroom presentations, assemblies, and hands-on activities that educate our children about waste reduction, reuse, recycling, water conservation and storm water pollution prevention. By focusing on educating our youth, children are able to establish positive habits early on in their lives that have a greater impact on the family as a whole. Please feel free to email the Green Oceanside team at email@example.com or call the Recycling Hotline at (760) 435-5015 for more information.