| Sorry, this page has moved!|
Please click here to go to the new location.
Become an environmental steward by thinking globally and acting locally.
The City of Oceanside is committed to waste diversion and recycling. Our goal is Zero Waste. To meet this goal we encourage everyone who lives, works in or visits Oceanside to embrace the Road to Zero Waste. Reduce waste first. Reuse and repair products as many times as possible, and recycle or compost the rest.
The key to generating less waste is to reduce the amount we buy or consume and reuse the products we purchase. Making the choice to consume less provides more social and environmental benefits than recycling and composting alone. Your small daily choices and habits add up! Practicing the 5 R's (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuy, Rot) allows YOU to send less trash to our local landfill while producing jobs, saving energy, and preserving natural resources.
The waste management hierarchy –– actually expresses the order of importance of these ideas:
- Reduce needless consumption and the generation of waste. When purchasing something at the store, try to buy items that have less packaging.
- Reuse any item that can be reused, or give it to a person/charity that can reuse it.
- Recycle whatever discards remain if you can and only dispose of what you must.
- Rebuy. Close the recycling loop by buying products made from recycled materials. Look for recycled content information on the products you purchase.
- Rot. Compost your food and yard waste, it's nature's way of recycling.
Successful recycling depends on every one of us. Waste reduction and recycling every day, at home, work and play is an easy and rewarding practice. By adopting more sustainable habits, we can reduce pollution, save resources and better help our community fight climate change.
Shop at one of the many thrift or consignment stores throughout Oceanside. You can find unique, affordable, and one-of-a-kind items that will showcase your own personal style! By shopping at a local resale boutique you can look your best while helping the planet! Don't forget your reusable bag.