Commercial Solid Waste & Recycling
California Assembly Bill AB341 was enacted July 1, 2012, requiring all California cities to divert a minimum of 75% of waste from landfills by 2020. This law also requires both businesses that generate four cubic yards or more of solid waste weekly and multifamily complexes with 5 units or more to participate in recycling programs. Additionally, the City of Oceanside is the first city in San Diego County to adopt a Zero Waste Plan to support and surpass the goals set forth by AB341. The City of Oceanside cannot reach these goals without each business doing its part. Recycling is the right decision for your business, your community and the earth. By making recycling a part of your daily routine you will not only save precious and limited natural resources, and enjoy a healthier environment you may also reduce your waste disposal costs.
To help businesses comply with city and state mandates the City of Oceanside offers the following support services:
- Perform a waste audit to identify the type and volume of material your business generates
- Help you determine appropriate waste and recycling service for your business, which can also present a cost savings
- Recycling and waste reduction training and outreach for employees and customers
In addition to these resources the City of Oceanside will be holding workshops designed for specific industries. These workshops will provide information for implementation and expansion of recycling programs and other industry specific needs and opportunity for waste reduction and sustainability measures. All workshop attendees will receive a Business Recycling Start up Kit including one large and one medium or small recycling container. For more information regarding FREE Commercial Recycling Workshops click here.
Multi-Family Blue Tote Recycling Program
We Can Help Your Community Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
The City of Oceanside invites your apartment community to be a part of the Multi-Family Blue Tote Recycling Program. Multi-family recycling participation is vital for maintaining a high diversion rate and keeping solid waste out of the landfill, which is mandated by Oceanside City Code Sec. 13.16(h), in addition to California Statute AB341. If you are a property owner/manager of a complex of four or more residential units, you are eligible to receive reusable recycling totes for all of your residents to use, as well informational tools and presentations by our staff to teach your community how to recycle and reduce waste, which can greatly impact your solid waste services monthly costs.
The following are the highlights of of the Multi-Family Blue Tote Recycling Program. The Green Oceanside team looks forward to discussing your options soon.
- Each unit in your complex will receive an attractive, large durable blue tote bag to be used to transport recyclables to designated enclosure areas (while supplies last).
- Each designated trash/recycling enclosure area in your complex will be supplied with all necessary containers, signage, educational materials, etc., to make it easy for your residents to participate in the program.
- Your community’s recycling program will improve and will create a sense of “Green” pride and enthusiasm in your complex and may even provide you with positive recognition and advertisement to future residents. Bonus: recycling often saves complexes money due to reducing trash generated and potential overload penalties.
- Your participation will help us improve future multi-family recycling programs and keep in compliance with strict mandates and Green Oceanside goals.
Please contact Colleen Foster, at (760) 435-5021, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, to inquire about how we can help your community be green.