The Oceanside Public Library is proud to host the third Big Read program in Oceanside! The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts (NEA), designed to restore reading to the center of American culture. From February 1- March 1, 2014, the Library will host an exciting array of special programs related to The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. A sample of the special events inspired by the book include:
• February 5 - Kick-off event featuring a Mayoral Proclamation of the Big Read in Oceanside at the City Council meeting at 5:00 p.m. Free copies of the book will be given away at the event.
• February 8 – Concert of Film Noir Music featuring Laura Ellis at the Sunshine Brooks Theatre at 7:30 p.m.
• February 20 – “The Falcon in Film: From Hammett to Huston” special speaking engagement by Julie Rivett, granddaughter of Dashiell Hammett, followed by a screening of the film at the Oceanside Museum of Art at 6:00 p.m.
• February 22 – Author panel featuring local celebrity crime writers at the Civic Center Library at 1:00 p.m.
• March 1 – Finale Event with a live re-creation of The Maltese Falcon from the Golden Days of Radio at the Civic Center Library at 3:00 p.m.
Other special events include a film noir series, Noir pencil art workshop, book discussions, and more. All programs are free and open to the public.
The accompanying program for children, called The Little Read, will feature programs around the book The Malted Falcon: A Chet Gecko Mystery by Bruce Hale.
Dashiell Hammett’s third novel, The Maltese Falcon (1930), set the standard by which all subsequent detective fiction would be judged. Among many other things, The Maltese Falcon is about what it’s like to want something – a fortune, a lover, or even respect – so bad that you would kill for it, risk your chance at happiness to get it, until finally the chase itself means more to you than what you are chasing.
For more information on the Big Read in Oceanside or other Library programs, please visit the Library’s website at www.oceansidepubliclibrary.org or call 760-435-5600.
The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts in partnership with Arts Midwest. The Big Read in Oceanside is funded through a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts, with contributions from the Friends of the Oceanside Public Library and the Oceanside Public Library Foundation, with generous support from many community partners.
( News Release )