I want to start a new business. How do I get assistance with filing paperwork, permits and creating a business plan?

Please visit the following websites for additional information:
Small Business Development Center - Oceanside Economic and Community Development – Business Start-Up Guide

What licenses do I need to start a business.

You need a business license from the city.

Do I need a business license to operate a home based business?

Yes, a Business License is required to use your home address as your business address.

How do I transfer my business to a new owner?

Your business license is not transferable. The new owners need to apply for a business license.

Do I need a fire inspection for my business?

If your business has a physical location, a successful fire inspection is required to finalize and approve your business license.

Do I need to get a sign permit for my business prior to installing a sign?

Yes, a sign installation permit must be obtained from the Building Division/Development Services Department for signage consistent with zoning ordinance sign regulations and/or with an approved Comprehensive Sign Package.

Where can I get a small business loan?

Please visit the following websites for additional information:
Small Business Development Center -
CDC Small Business Finance -

I want to sell goods at the Farmers Market or Sunset Market.

Please visit the MainStreet Oceanside website for additional information

Where can I get demographics information?

Please visit our Demographics page for more information.

Where can I get a list of your top employers?

Please contact Economic and Community Development at 760-435-3352 for more information.

What is a conditional use permit?

A Conditional Use Permit  (CUP) is a discretionary permit that may be granted by the City Planner, Planning Commission or City Council to allow certain use classification(s) to operate on a particular property.  Use classifications subject to CUPs typically possess unusual site development features or operating characteristics requiring consideration by one of the aforementioned decision making bodies to ensure that they will be designed, located and operated compatibly with uses on adjoining properties and in the surrounding area. 

How do I find out about bidding for City contracts?

The City of Oceanside is continually seeking vendors, suppliers, and contractors who can provide quality products and services at competitive prices. The City purchases and contracts for a wide variety of supplies, services, equipment, and consultant services in order to provide our community a full range of municipal services and programs. The City of Oceanside currently operates under a decentralized purchasing system. Each department is responsible for advertising and providing information on their bid items. Once you determine if you want to bid on any advertised RFP, please contact the department directly for any questions, information or bid packets.