How do I request a copy of the police report?

A request for a copy of a police report can be made in person or by mail.  A case number or the date, time and location of the incident is required to complete a request. Photo identification on specific request maybe required.  If coming into the Police Department please fill out the Report Request form located on the counter in the lobby.  When you have completed the form, proceed to the Records Section window located in main lobby.  If you are submitting your request by mail please send the request to: Oceanside Police Department, Attention: Records, 3855 Mission Avenue, Oceanside, CA 92058. A $5.50 processing fee per report is required.  All reports are processed within 10 days of the date of request and returned via mail.911 recordings, Calls for Service, and specific CAD incidents can also be requested.  All items requested are subject to release in accordance with the California Public Records Act.  You may contact Records at 760-435-4944 for further information.

What is the availability of online reporting?

Online reporting is available 24hrs a day at the Oceanside Police Dept. website.

How do I find out the status of my reported case?

You can contact the Investigations Administrative Assistant at (760) 435-4580 to check on the status of the reported case or ask to speak to an Investigations Supervisor.

I need to release my vehicle from impound. How do I pay my vehicle impound fees?

If the vehicle was impounded as part of a criminal investigation, it can be held while the investigation is in progress.  The department will be responsible for any storage fees after the first five business days.  In most cases the vehicle are held for only a few days.

If the vehicle was impounded for another reason, the easiest way to get your vehicle out of impound is to correct the “situation” that created the need for towing the vehicle.  For the most common reasons for vehicle impounds this would require the driver at the time of the impound to obtain a valid driver’s license, or the vehicle’s owner to obtain current registration for the vehicle, or the vehicle’s owner to pay off the outstanding parking tickets.  Whatever the reason, once you have corrected the situation, the vehicle can be released.  If the vehicle was impound due to a driver’s license issue that cannot be corrected, the vehicle will still be released after thirty (30) days.

When you come to the police department to obtain a release for a vehicle, the vehicle’s registered owner must be present.  The registered owner will need to have their driver’s license with them.  If they do not have one, then they will need to bring a licensed driver with them.  Remember, if you live or work in California, the driver’s license must be issued by this state (active military is exempt).You will have to pay the “Vehicle Release Fee” to our Records Unit.  Depending upon the reason for the impound, the fee varies between $100.00 and $165.00 for impounded vehicles.  Once that fee is paid, you will have to pay the tow company for the towing and storage of your vehicle.  Upon the payment of that bill, your vehicle will be released.

The towing or storage fees paid to the tow companies will vary depending on the time it took to tow your vehicle, if any special equipment was needed, and how long the vehicle was in storage.  The minimum tow and storage fees are based by the cost of doing business for the individual tow company.  These fees are approved by the Oceanside office of the California Highway Patrol.  The tow fees currently vary from $180.00 to $210.00, while the daily storage fees vary from $38.00 to $45.00. 

I need a copy of my criminal history.

The Records Section accepts requests for “Local record checks” for Oceanside residents or former Oceanside residents. Proof of residency and valid photo identification must be presented.  Requests are fulfilled within five business days.  The fee is $10.00 per request. To request a State of California Records Checks you may access the Attorney Generals website at http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security.php

What is livescan fingerprinting?

Livescan fingerprinting is electronic fingerprints used to obtain a background check on an individual. The service is available by appointment Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. You must obtain your own paper work through your employer. If you are interested in obtaining a background check for yourself not for your employer, a form can be obtained by going to http://ag.ca.gov/fingerprints/security.php.

How do I obtain a restraining order?

Restraining orders are issued by a judge and can be obtained at the Vista Superior Court more information is available on the website at www.sdcourt.ca.gov

I want to apply for employment with Oceanside Police department.

Current employment opportunities at the Police Department are posted on the City of Oceanside Website https://jobs.cityofoceanside.com/coea/home.aspx.

How can I get my traffic ticket signed-off?

Sign offs are available at the front desk of Oceanside Police during business hours (Monday –Friday 8am to 5pm).

How do you determine when a person is charged for an alarm activation?

A person is charged for a false alarm when police do not find any evidence of an unauthorized attempt to enter upon the alarm user’s home or place of business.

What is the fee schedule for an alarm activation?

The fee schedule is based on the number of false alarms that a person or business activates during any 365 day period.

How do I dispose of ammunition that is not being used?

Oceanside Police will take your used unwanted ammunition at the front desk anytime between 8am and 5pm Monday thru Friday.

I want to register a home or commercial alarm.

All alarm systems installed in the City of Oceanside must be registered with the Police Department. Information booklets and registration forms are available at the public counter. There is no fee.

How can I find a crime statistics in my neighborhood?

For statistics broken down by neighborhood visit main police page, and click “crime statistics in your neighborhood” button. For more specific crime statistics such as crime around a specific address visit http://www.crimemapping.com/

I want to start or join neighborhood watch.

For more information about this program please visit the Neighborhood Watch  page on Police website.

What number do I call to report a non-emergency incident?

Please call 760-435-4900.

How can I file a complaint against an Officer or member of the police department? What is the process once the complaint is filed?

Fill out the complaint form located on the website and mail it in… mailing address is on complaint form.  You may also walk the complaint form into the front counter. The Chief will review the complaint and assign the complaint for investigation if appropriate under the circumstances. The citizen will be notified by mail of our receipt and assignment of the complaint.  With this letter, the citizen will also be given a copy of the complaint received by the Chief’s Office.  The citizen will likely be interviewed during the investigation into the complaint.  Once the investigation is complete, the citizen will receive a letter from the Chief advising them that the investigation has been completed.  While our police department takes complaints very seriously, revealing the discipline issued to the officers as a result of the complaint is not permissible by law.