Code Compliance

Where can I find Oceanside City Code and Oceanside Zoning Ordinance?

View the Oceanside Municipal Code.   Zoning information can be found here:

How do I report code violation?

Violations may be reported by calling Customer Care at 760-435-4500, by mail, or by fax at 760-967-1887. You may also report a violation online via the Online Service Request Portal.

I made a complaint. How long do I have to wait before something is done?

Complaints are assigned to code enforcement officers geographically. Health and safety violations are given priority over other violations. Depending on the nature of the complaint, the officer may need to send a letter and schedule an inspection with the property owner. As each case may vary in complexity, so may the time required to bring the violation into compliance.

Do I need to give my name and contact information to file a complaint about a code violation?

Although we require your information when making a complaint, this information is kept strictly confidential. Providing this information allows the code enforcement officer to contact you during the investigation to determine the specific nature of the complaint and whether progress has been made toward its resolution.

How do I find out who complained about me?

Reporting party information is kept strictly confidential and may not be released.

I received an administrative citation. How do I pay the citation?

Administrative citations may be paid online, in person, or through the mail. To pay online please go to Administrative Citation Payments.
To pay in person, please bring your citation and invoice to City Hall East, 300 N Ditmar St, Oceanside, CA 92054.

A certificate of Non-Compliance was filed against my property. How do I clear the certificate?

A Certificate of Non-Compliance does not carry a monetary penalty and cannot be cleared by paying a fine. The certificate may only be removed by correcting the violations specified on the certificate. Once the violations have been corrected, a follow-up inspection will be required to ensure the property is in compliance. Once the violations are corrected a Certificate of Compliance may be issued cancelling the previous document. Once issued, it is important to record the Certificate of Compliance with the San Diego County Recorder’s Office.

If the City of Oceanside abated a nuisance on your property and filed a lien rather than a Certificate of Non-Compliance, please contact The City's Code Enforcement Division at (760) 435-3945.  

How do I complain about an illegal addition to a home or other unpermitted construction?

Complaints about unpermitted construction can be submitted to the Code Enforcement Division. The officer assigned to the case can check if a building permit is required or has been issued. Some projects such as storage sheds may not require a permit depending on their size but may have restrictions regarding their location.

How do I dispose of items like appliances, televisions, furniture, paint, motor oil, or other toxic materials?

For disposal of large or hazardous items contact Waste Management of North County at 760-439-2824. Some items may be disposed of free of charge while others may incur a nominal fee.

How do I report graffiti?

You can submit an Online Request or call (760) 435-4500. The Code Enforcement Division offers graffiti removal with written authorization from the property owner.