City Attorney

Can the City Attorney give legal advice to private citizens?

The Oceanside City Attorney's office cannot provide legal advice to private citizens or residents within the City of Oceanside.

How do I get a copy of the Oceanside City Charter of the Oceanside City Code?

The City Charter and City Code are available at the City Clerk's Office.

What is the difference between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?

The City Attorney is the attorney for the City of Oceanside and is appointed by the City Council.  The attorneys in the Office provide a full range of legal services to the Mayor, City Council, City Clerk, City Treasurer as well all City departments, boards and commission and officers.  Among other things, the City Attorney prosecutes violations of the Oceanside City Code, but not violations of state law. In addition, the City Attorney defends the City and its employees in civil lawsuits and the City Attorney also files lawsuits on behalf of the City.

The District Attorney is an elected official who prosecutes all criminal activity in San Diego County, except for violations of the Oceanside City Code.

Who is the City Attorney's client?

Along with the City Manager, the City Attorney is directly selected by, and serves at the pleasure of, the City Council. The City of Oceanside, represented by the City Council, is the City Attorney's "client."

Who do I call to report a crime?

For emergencies, call 911. Non-emergencies should be reported to the Oceanside Police Department at (760) 435-4900.

How do I obtain a copy of documents the City has in its files?

The Public Records Act is designed to give the public access to information in the possession of public agencies. The Act also provides that public records shall be open for inspection during regular office hours of the agency. The public can inspect any record unless the record is exempted from disclosure under the Act. Requests should be directed to the City Clerk.