City Boards, Commissions & Committees

Who Are Board, Commission & Committee Members?

Members of most of the commissions, boards, and committees are Oceanside residents of all ages that represent a variety of interests and backgrounds. While education and expertise in a particular area of interest may be considered for appointments, they are not mandatory. City Council appoints the members of the committees, boards and commissions from the applications submitted to the City Clerk’s office.

What Do Boards, Commissions & Committees Do For the City?

The primary responsibility of all members of committees, boards and commissions is to serve in an advisory capacity to the City Council. Council looks to their advisory groups for sound, quality recommendations based on all available input and what is best for the entire City. The members do not make political decisions or act in any capacity reserved for elected officials. Members are appointed to represent the entire community and not exclusively the viewpoint of a particular group or interest.

How To Apply

Applications are accepted at all times during the year. The application is found on each Commission page, links below.

 Scheduled vacancies are advertised in the Union Tribune and posted here. 

Vacancy Notice - Boards and Commissions

Unscheduled Vacancy Notice 

Maddy Act - Annual List of Vacancies

Boards and Commissions Handbook

Once you turn in your application, it remains on file for a period of one year, unless you notify the City Clerk Department to pull your application. Each time a vacancy exists on the advisory group for which you applied, your application is submitted to the City Council for consideration of appointment. You will be notified by letter from the City Clerk on the status of appointments.

You can now file an electronic application for the committee, board or commission of your choice. Follow the links below to the group you would like to join.

Additional Information

If you have any questions, please call the City Clerk Department at (760) 435-3001.