Right-Of-Way (ROW) / Beach Access Permit

All work performed in the public right-of-way (ROW), easements, alleys, and beach areas need an approved permit from Transportation and Engineering Divisions. The ROW is usually the area beyond your private property line. It includes the alleys, streets, curbs, median areas, public sidewalks, public easements and parkways (the open space/landscape or grass area between the curb and sidewalk or sidewalk and private property).

Always verify the location of property lines prior to constructing improvements that are near adjoining property lines, City streets or City easements.  Never assume your property ends at the curb or sidewalk in front of your home. Check to make sure there are no easements on your property. You may not construct or plant anything on City right-of-way, easement, or property without written permission and permit.

Note: ROW/Beach Access Permit (supplemented with a traffic control plan) will be required for most work done within the right-of-way. An Encroachment Removal Agreement may be required for all private improvements placed in the right-of-way.

General Information:

Forms and application:

Review and Processing Fees:

Please check Engineering Processing Fees 


An application for a Right-Of-Way (ROW) / Beach Access permit may be filed for any work performed in the City right-of-way, Public easement or City property. Following is the sample of activities that require Construction Certificate Permit / Beach Access Permit:

  • Widening/ Replacing driveways
  • Curb Core
  • Sewer lateral/ water lateral
  • Trenching
  •  Boring
  • Raising manholes 
  • Installation of wells
  • Well monitoring
  • Utilities in general
  • Landscaping and tree removal
  • Large trash bins, storage units, etc


The applicant (licensed contractor) shall prepare the applicable forms and exhibits for submittal and attach all required items. Please note that an incomplete application will not be accepted or processed. The contractor is the Permittee and is ultimately responsible for the accuracy of all information submitted and all work done that affects the right-of-way.

 Once a completed application has been filed, appropriate fees have been paid, and the permit is approved by Engineering and Traffic for completeness and technical accuracy, and appropriate insurance documentation has been provided then the permit can be issued. All comments/corrections if any will be forwarded to the applicant.   Once the Construction Certificate Permit / Beach Access Permit and Traffic Control Plan are approved the contractor/applicant will be notified.   

Contractor/applicant shall call the inspection recorder line at (760) 435-5081 to arrange a pre-construction meeting prior to commencing any work.  A minimum of two (2) working days' notice is required for any meeting request. The Construction Certificate Permit / Beach Access Permit will be issued at this meeting.


All application forms and samples are available at the Engineering Division front counter or on this website.

For information please contact the front desk staff at

  • Completed application form
  • Contractor’s State License Number and Class (type)
  • City of Oceanside Business License Number
  • Certificate of Insurance (per city specification) (See below)
  • Traffic Control Plan (per City specification)
  • Site Plan/Construction drawings
  • Construction Certificate Permit / Beach Access Permit filing fee or completion of Improvement Plan Check Letter
  • Signed and notarized Encroachment Removal Agreement (when applicable)


Contractor must provide a valid City Business License.  If none, make an application with the Licensing Department and include a copy of the receipt with the Right-of-Way Permit application.

The contractor must have the following licenses to perform work in the ROW.

  • General Engineering Contractor “A” License – may do any type of engineering work in the City right-of-way
  • Concrete “C-8” License – may do any concrete work in City right-of-way.
  • Earthwork and Paving “C-12” License – may do earthwork or paving work in City right-of-way.
  • Parking and Highway Improvement “C-32” License – may do any type of traffic control and striping work in the City right-of-way.
  • Pipeline “C-34” License – may do any pipeline type of work in City right-of-way.

Note:  It is not the intent of this document to limit a licensed contractor’s right to do work within the specially permitted by California Contractor’s License Board.


Contractor shall provide a certificate of insurance for personal injury and property damage liability in the amount of at least $1,000,000 (one million) per incident.  Certificates providing less than one month’s liability insurance coverage will not be accepted.  Certificate must specifically name the City of Oceanside as “Additional Insured”, as well as “Certificate Holder.”  Naming the City as additional insured requires an endorsement to the policy and is an additional sheet.

All required insurance must be underwritten by an insurance company listed in the latest edition of (domestic, not international) Best Rating Guide with a rating of “A”/“A-” or better and a financial size of $10 million (currently Class V) or better.


  • Prior to designing, planning, assigning field crews or calling for bids on project, please visit the site.
  • Construction on private property may require easements which should be obtained prior to permit approval. 
  • Retaining walls may require building permits.
  • No trip or safety hazards in the public right-of-way. 
  • No vaults or valves in sidewalks unless prior approval is obtained from the City Engineer. Easements may be required.
  • When construction occurs in concrete streets, medians, decorative concrete areas, landscaped areas or sidewalks, special replacement conditions may be required on a case-by-case basis.  Please arrange a site meeting with an Engineering Division Inspector prior to construction planning by calling (760) 435-5081.
  • All trenches to be closed daily.  Permission to use trench plates will be granted on a case-by-case basis.  When used, all trench plates will be anchored to prevent movement and Cold Mix Asphalt transition maintained at the edges. Recessed plates may be required.
  • Call Underground Service Alert at (800) 422-4133 to mark existing utilities prior to any digging, public or private.
  • Construction on holidays and Saturdays requires filing for an overtime permit at the Engineering Division counter by 2:30 pm two (2) working days in advance.
  • All construction of public improvements shall be completed in accordance with the City Grading Ordinance 81-20, Amended Grading Ordinance 92-15, and Standard Specification for Public Works Construction, San Diego Area Regional Standard Drawings and City of Oceanside Engineers Manual.
  • All replacement of concrete/asphalt streets, sidewalks, driveways, aprons, curbs and gutters will be from joint to joint.  Tunneling not permitted.
  • Telecommunications devices are subject to separate removal agreement through the Property Division. Contact Rosa Jones at (760) 435-5176.


Engineers Manual San Diego Regional Standard
M-2 Temporary Trench Resurfacing G-1 Curb & Gutter - Separate
M-3A Trench Backfill & Resurfacing G-2 Curb & Gutter - Combined
M-3B Trench Resurfacing W/Fabric G-6 Curb & Gutter - Median
M-3C General Notes G-7&9 Sidewalks
M-8A Special Cross Gutter G-10 Concrete Joint Locations
M-9 Ribbon Gutter G-12 Cross Gutter - Regular
M-10 Expanded Driveway Return G-14-16 Concrete Driveway
M-11 Handicap Ramps G-17 Alley Apron
M-14 Utility Trench Detail G-18-21 Concrete Pavement