Relaxed Business Regulations During COVID-19

Revised Business Regulations Related to COVID-19 and a Reopened Economy

Beginning June 15, 2021 all sectors listed in the current Blueprint Activities and Business Tiers Chart, including restaurants, may return to usual operations with possible exceptions as detailed in the California Department of Public Health Guidelines and Restrictions site.  Per Assembly Bill No. 61, the state of emergency proclamation by the Governor on March 4, 2020 is extended until July 1, 2024.  

In 2020, the City of Oceanside provided Temporary Outdoor Expansion Permits for Oceanside businesses to enhance operations while State and County Health Orders related to COVID-19 were in place. With restrictions lifted, the City is providing the following options to assist businesses in successfully transitioning to a fully open economy:


  • Current, approved Temporary Outdoor Expansion Permits will remain in effect until December 31, 2021 or till the County emergency health order is lifted.
  • Businesses operating outdoors without an approved Temporary Outdoor Expansion Permit will have until September 15, 2021 to apply for a Temporary Outdoor Expansion Permit.

  • Businesses wishing to apply for permanent outdoor operations permits can do so by completing the Permanent Sidewalk Café/Outdoor Eating Area Permit Application at the link below. Feasibility, length of time for approval and permitting costs will vary depending on the size and location of the outdoor operations.
  • The City of Oceanside’s Development Services Department is exploring options to revise business outdoor operational guidelines to expand allowable outdoor operations on private property and City right of ways. 

Permit Applications and Guidelines:

For more information about these opportunities, please contact the Planning Division at (760) 435-4373 or Scott Nightingale, Senior Planner at 435-3526