The City of Oceanside held a groundbreaking for this exciting project on October 30, 2019. This world-class aquatics center will provide competition-level amenities to serve Oceanside residents, school districts and host regional meets. Work is scheduled to be completed in the spring of 2021, with a grand opening slated shortly afterward.
In addition to competitive amenities, the aquatics center will accommodate recreational features for all. Main components will include a 56-meter competition pool, diving boards, instructional pool, splash pad, administrative offices, meeting rooms, large multi-purpose hall, locker rooms and outdoor recreational and viewing areas. The Aquatics Center will add to the active synergy already taking place within El Corazon Park with the SoCal Sport Complex, El Corazon Senior Center, and future residential and commercial development.
The El Corazon Aquatics Center will include the following components:
- Competition pool
- Spectator seating
- Locker rooms and family changing rooms
- Warm-water instructional/therapy pool
- Splash pad for children
- Shade structure
- Concession area
- Multi-purpose classroom
- Lifeguard/staff offices
Aquatics Center design
- In an April 15, 2015, workshop, the City Council authorized City staff to begin the planning and design necessary for an aquatics facility at El Corazon.
- On November 4, 2015, the City Council approved a Professional Services Agreement with RNT Architects for the conceptual design, design development, and entitlement and environmental approvals for the El Corazon Aquatics Center project.
- On May 5, 2016, conceptual design and environmental studies were submitted to the Planning Department to start the approval process. The approval process is anticipated to be completed Fall of 2016. At the completion of the planning process, the project will be scheduled for a presentation before the Parks and Recreation Commission and the Economic Development Commission, in advance of a public hearing before the Planning Commission.
- In November 2018, the City Council approved the plans for the El Corazon Aquatics Center project. During the first quarter of 2019, the City Council agreed to fund the project through the sale of bonds.
- On October 9, 2019, the City Council approved the funding for the construction of the El Corazon Aquatics Center construction. They also awarded the construction contract at that meeting to PCL Construction of San Diego in the amount of $19.8 million.
- The groundbreaking ceremony was held at El Corazon Senior Center on October 30, 2019.
View renderings here
El Corazon Aquatics Center elevations
Current Aquatics Programs