The 9th annual National Mayor’s Challenge for Water Conservation is August 1-31. During this time, residents can pledge to conserve water and be more sustainable to earn the City points in this national contest.
Take the pledge starting August 1, 2020 at www.mywaterpledge.com
This friendly, month-long competition is a campaign to see which cities in the United States are the most water-wise. The city that gets the most residents to take the pledge, wins the Challenge. Last year, Oceanside finished in 3rd place, a tremendous effort, but we know that we’ve got what it takes to win!
Everyday actions you can take to save water and be more sustainable at home!
• Wash only full loads of laundry
• Repair leaks around the house
• Use sprinklers on minimal settings and water before 8 am
• Shorten your shower time
• Ditch disposables and choose reusables
• Sweep down driveways and sidewalks
• Automatic entry into a daily raffle for some awesome prizes, including $3,000 towards your home utility bills! Over $50,000 worth of prizes are available to people that pledge.
• Opportunity to vote for a charity of your choice to receive a Toyota Hybrid SUV. If Oceanside wins, the charity with the most votes from Oceanside residents will receive a car!
• Feel good protecting the environment by conserving natural resources and being a better steward of the earth.
Ways you can help Oceanside reach number one!
• Take the pledge at www.mywaterpledge.com (after August 1).
• Participate in an activity from home for the chance to win a prize! See details in the "Volunteer Water Project" section below.
• Share what you’re doing with your friends and family.
• Post what you’re doing to be more sustainable on social media, tag us and you could be eligible to win additional prizes!
New this year: Complete a Volunteer Water Project!
There are many hands-on conservation activities that you can do from the safety of your home or in your local community. Visit wylandfoundation.org/mywaterproject to create a team with family and friends and complete an environmental project together! Reporting your completed projects will win more points for the City of Oceanside in the Mayor’s Challenge!
Additionally, you can win prizes from the City by sharing your projects and actions with us. Simply send a photo or video of your sustainable activities to firstname.lastname@example.org, or, tag us when you share your accomplishment on Instagram or Facebook.* All participants will be entered into a weekly drawing for a Green Oceanside Sustainability Kit which includes some great eco-prizes so you can continue your sustainability efforts after August!
Example projects include:
Visit wylandfoundation.org/mywaterproject for more project ideas and to log your activities.