Prepare Ahead for Winter Rain Storms
Due to COVID19 and the closure of public counters, the City of Oceanside will not have sandbags available to the public. Please use other local businesses if you are in need of sandbags.
Oceanside crews have been making storm preparations a priority. The clearing of storm drains is ongoing, and the City’s emergency responders have plans in place and will be monitoring flood-prone areas. Public Works will continue to evaluate streets and remove debris from roads and storm drains when the next storm arrives. The Water Utilities Department is ensuring that the City’s water and sewer infrastructure is as prepared as possible for expected heavy rainfall, such as lowering the reservoir levels to ensure excess capacity.
Does your family or business have an emergency plan? Are you prepared for possible flooding?
- Know your flood risk and look into Flood Insurance
- If your home or business is flood prone, pick up sandbags now, before it rains. Free sand and sandbags are offered to Oceanside residents at the City Operations Center at 4927 Oceanside Boulevard between 9-2 Monday-Thursday. Limit of 10 per resident, bring a shovel. Moody's Recycling at El Corazon also has free sand and bags, or pre-filled sandbags for a nominal fee. Video tips on filling and stacking sandbags to divert flow away from your property.
- Learn what steps to take before, during, and after a flood
- Make a family emergency plan
- Build or restock your emergency preparedness kit
- Sign up for mobile AlertSD phone alerts, stay tuned to TV or radio for weather updates
- When possible, stay off roads during heavy rain periods
- Never drive through a flooded area, turn around, don’t drown